What are mood disorders?
Mood disorders are psychiatric conditions that are characterised by unexpected and abrupt changes in mood. Whilst it is normal for everyone to experience mood swings from time-to-time, if you find that you are repeatedly experiencing strong, rapidly shifting emotions, which seem to be sudden and uncontrollable, it may be that you have developed a mood disorder.
At Priory Wellbeing Centres in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, our expert psychiatrists and psychologists possess a wealth of experience in treating a range of mood disorders and offer individually tailored treatment in order to produce the best possible outcomes for each and every one of our patients.
There are several different types of mood disorder, each of which are characterised by their own unique symptoms. These include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorder
- Major depressive disorder
- Mixed mood states
What are the signs and symptoms of mood disorders?
The signs and symptoms of mood disorders can vary from person to person and also depend on the type of mood disorder that you are suffering from. However, the following are all common signs that a mood disorder may be present:
- Rapid shifts in mood
- Persistently experiencing strong emotions that seem to increase in intensity
- Substance abuse as a means of coping with your changing moods
- Engaging in risky behaviours
- Experiencing thoughts of harming yourself during particularly low moods
- Intense moods that cause you to forget to eat or impact on the quality of your sleep