What are sleep disorders?
While we can all go through periods of time when we don’t get as much sleep as we want or need, it’s important to recognise when this is becoming a more frequent problem. If your lack of sleep is having a negative effect on your life and your ability to function day-to-day, it may be that you have insomnia or another a sleep disorder.
Sleep disorders cause you to find it difficult to sleep properly. If you’re struggling with a sleep disorder, you may find it hard to fall/stay asleep each night, and fail to feel rested the next day. The most common form of sleep disorder is insomnia.
At our specialist wellbeing centres in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, we can help and understand that regular and good quality sleep is very important for health and wellbeing. Going for long periods of time with poor sleep quality can have lots of serious consequences for your physical and psychological health, and can impact lots of different areas of your life including work and relationships.
Are Sleep disorders are treatable?
We all need a different amount of sleep each night in order to be able to function the next day and stay healthy. Research suggests that people who regularly get less than 3.5 hours of sleep each night are likely to have health problems as a result of sleep deprivation.
The good news is that sleep disorders are treatable and you can make a full recovery. Our expert team of psychiatrists, psychologists and therapists Priory Wellbeing Centres in Abu Dhabi and Dubai have lots of experience in treating sleep disorders. We can help you to resolve your sleep problems, address any underlying issues and get you back on track.
Outpatient sleep disorder treatment in Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Our centres in Dubai and Abu Dhabi deliver high quality sleep disorder treatment on a flexible outpatient basis. We can help you take back control and take steps towards recovery.
Outpatient sleep disorder treatment at both of our clinics in Dubai and Abu Dhabi ensures:
- Flexible and convenient consulting hours, which fit in with your work and other commitments
- Fast access to high quality therapy
- Complete confidentiality and discretion
- Treatment from skilled experts
- Online therapy
At Priory we can teach you healthy strategies to help you get to sleep at night, and help you to resolve issues that could be making your sleep problems worse. Our sleep specialists in Dubai and Abu Dhabi understand that everyone experiences sleep problems in different ways. That’s why we’ll develop a personalised treatment programme for you, meaning that we can address your individual challenges and help you to achieve wellbeing.
How can insomnia and sleeping disorders be treated?
- Sleep hygiene - the first step in treatment will involve our specialists teaching you simple behaviour and lifestyle changes to improve your ability to achieve consistent, good quality sleep
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) – we also use CBT to tackle the symptoms of your sleep disorder and any underlying problems. CBT is helpful when treating sleep disorders as it means you can challenge and change any unhealthy thought patterns that may be preventing you from getting to sleep
- 1:1 therapy for sleep disorders – this takes place with yourself and a sleep disorder treatment expert. 1:1 therapy allows for a personalised and in-depth treatment experience
- Group therapy for sleep disorders – group therapy takes place in a group of patients, which means you can receive support from others and share feelings in a safe and compassionate space
- Family therapy for disorders – family therapy takes place in a group of you and your immediate family members or loved ones. This helps everyone to build an understanding of sleep disorders and have an honest conversation about how you can best support each other
What are the signs and symptoms of a sleep disorder?
Signs that you may be suffering from a sleep disorder include:
- Having difficulty falling and staying asleep
- Being awake for most of the night, despite wanting and trying to sleep
- Waking up early in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep
- Feeling tired and drowsy during the day
- Struggling to complete daily tasks because of a lack of energy
- Reduced productivity and performance at work
- Poor concentration
- Irritability and agitation
What causes a sleep disorder to develop?
Like lots of mental health conditions, there are a number of factors that can increase the chances of someone struggling with sleep disorder. These include:
- Poor sleeping environment e.g. an uncomfortable bed or lots of noise that keeps you awake
- Inconsistent sleep routine – going to bed and waking up at different times
- Napping during the day
- Shift work
- Drinking too much caffeine, especially in the evening
- Smoking cigarettes, especially in the evening
- Stress and worry
- Existing psychiatric problems e.g. depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Certain physical health conditions e.g. respiratory conditions, chronic pain and arthritis
- Certain medications e.g. steroid medication, medication for epilepsy and blood pressure, and certain antidepressants
Sleep disorder treatment in Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Priory have been treating sleep disorders in the UAE since 2017, at our specialist clinic in Dubai, We have recently opened a second Wellbeing Centre in Abu Dhabi. We now offer expert help for sleep disorders in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, at the following locations:
Sleep disorder therapy in Dubai
Priory Wellbeing Centre Dubai
Dubai Healthcare City
Al Razi Building 64
Block F, Ground Floor
Out Metha Road
Sleep disorder therapy in Abu Dhabi
Priory Wellbeing Centre Abu Dhabi
King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Street
United Arab Emirates
Call the Priory team today to discuss how expert therapy can remove the barriers to sleep and help you to improve your sleep patterns, length of sleep and restore energy levels.
For further information call today on: (+971) 4 245 3800 (Dubai) / (+971) 2 651 8111 (Abu Dhabi) or submit an enquiry form in confidence. We will provide you with details on all our treatments and offer help on how to manage your mental health at a time that suits you.